- How do I get to Raja Ampat?
Please check this link for detailed information on how to get to Raja Ampat. If you already arrange your pick up with Kristian, his team will pick you up in Waisai, the capital city of Raja Ampat.
- Do I need to pay for my volunteer activity?
No. This program is free. All you need to pay for is your accommodation, meal, and transport.
- I am not a teacher, and I am not a native English speaker. Am I still qualified?
Yes, you are! Most guests are not native English speakers. It’s good for them to hear different English accents. You don’t have to be an English teacher to volunteer. As long as you speak in English, local students will learn a little bit more English.
- Do I have to speak Indonesian?
No, you don’t. There are many ways to convey meanings apart from translation. For example, you can teach students things that they see around like stones, sand, leaves, and flowers. Bring them along to your class and ask your students to say them in English. Gestures and synonyms can help students understand the word meanings.
- How can I know what students have learned from the previous volunteers?
It’s your opportunity to interview the students and ask them what they remember from the last lessons. However, you don’t have to follow the previous lessons. Feel free to do lessons that you already have in mind.
- Where can I teach the students?
If you want to teach in the morning, you can teach at the local school. The children go to school when the teachers are available. The teachers are from other islands in Raja Ampat. They sometimes go to their villages on different islands for ceremonies or family matters. Otherwise, you can teach the students after school (12 o’clock) in the Mandarin Homestay or in the Sawinggrai Learning Center. Talk with Kristian, our local coordinator, about your plan. He should be able to give you suggestions based on the time you arrive.
- Why do you do the Sawinggrai English Effort project?
- Why do decide to do your project in Sawinggrai?
- Why are Kristian and Akes as local coordinators?
- Why is Mandarin homestay as a headquarters? Please watch this video to find the answers for these four last questions.